Category Archives: Restorations
Mel and I have had this player for some time. This is the table top model, but they also made ones that had a tulip base stand.
We purchased this base that was originally for a terrarium, but was missing the plastic ball terrarium topper. I wasn’t sure what to do with this base until we saw online an exhibit that San Francisco Museum of Modern Art did about the 70’s. In the exhibit, they used the same record player paired with a similar base. With that idea, I was excited to bring these two pieces together.
I could have painted the base a hundred different colors, but I felt that black looked best with the black accents on the record player. After the paint dried, I had to drill holes to route the cord through the center.
I also wanted to cut out three holes on the bottom to keep the cord and speaker wires separate from one another.
After all the drilling and painting was done, all I had to do was bring these two together. I love the results!
I think this unit looks really slick now!
This is way more space age looking.
Mel and I purchased this piece a while back. When we purchased it, we knew we wanted to liven it up by changing its color.
I am not sure if this is a Frankenstein creation or if it is actually made by someone notable. There are no maker marks and I couldn’t find any info online.
It came apart very easily and painted even easier. I love the yellow and it really adds a nice pop of color.
I love the way it looks with everything. I might see if I can find a green or blue lightbulb to really shake things up!
I think colored transparent glass might look better on here than this sort of glass. I think that kind of glass would add more drama to the lighting.
On to the next project!
We are excited to announce the completion of our Chromcraft set. Bill and John from B&T Upholstery did a fantastic job and we couldn’t be happier. Here are a couple of earlier posts where I wrote about this sets transformation (update 1, update 2).
We were a little nervous about our fabric choice but now that the set is finished we really dig it.
The accessories look soo good with this set.
John did a fantastic job keeping the pattern lined up.
Even the Witco’s look great with it!
Of course you need more decorative glass.
I am surprised how comfortable these are. Bill used heavy duty foam to give the cushions more durability.
This will be a great area to hang out in and watch TV. I love decorating in a different style and era than I am accustom to.
I really dig the blue/green color combo of the lamps.
I am almost 6ft tall and I can actually lay down on this couch and fit!
On to the next post!
We blogged about a really stellar Chromcraft set on our other blog Hepcat Restorations a while back. Our upholsterer Bill from B&T Upholstery sent us a few text photos of how the Chromcraft set is turning out, so I thought we would pass them along…
Mel and I spent a lot of time looking for what we felt was the right fabric and this is what we found.
Here you can see John recovering the cushion base for the couch. Both John and Bill are perfectionists.
John seen here verifying it turned out all right.
One of the concerns Bill had was that our upholstery fabric did not have enough stretch for the corners of the back rest. He ended up having to sew in inserts to make the bend, but with the busyness of the fabric pattern it blends well.
Here is the last photo showing the cushions that still need to be recovered. We hope to have the set soon and will post a follow up as soon as we do.
As with any approach we take to decorating, we always want to create layers of interest. When I saw this vintage painting system on eBay I knew it would help make our place look like it was right out of that era.
This kit was produced in 1974. The idea is a DIY process to create wall designs that were so popular during the 70’s.
I dig the shirt!
I plan to apply this process to a couple of walls in our home. I will blog about the process and hopefully inspire folks to do it themselves.
Our kit appears to be complete and never used!
Here is all the support literature to help you produce these fantastic images.
The instruction booklet had photos of numerous applications, here are some of those photos…
The next couple of images are used as a reference for color options.
I hope the process is as easy as it looks. If it is, I don’t know if any wall will be safe!